Wednesday 15 October 2008

Four Key Reasons Why Barack Obama Will Be The Next United States President (One Year On)

I came on Newsvine in the first week of July of 2007 and immediately got embroiled in heated debates about whether Barack Obama stood any kind of chance to be President of the USA. My belief in his eventual success was unshakeable, and stood confidently firm, even in the face of all the arguments. In fact it was a rather lonely time then, trying to defend my corner as a seemingly 'naive' newcomer in the face of so much scepticism and so many learned Americans telling me otherwise, especially when a few repeatedly pointed out that it was their country and they knew far more about the form than I did. But that cemented my belief even further. Often outsiders can see what we cannot because, being outside of the situation and untainted by its partisan nature, they can see the bigger picture.

I had nothing much to go on except my instincts and, to the smug political pundits, that was nothing on which to base such an important prediction in the face of 'past experience' and the 'evidence' against an Obama victory. However, being a confident person, I remained steadfast, as my instincts have never failed me in my life. I have not seen any reason whatsoever along the way to change my mind either. Even when I saw the dire comments of what would happen at various points in the campaign, especially how he would be beaten by Clinton, I still didn't budge. So when I now see those sceptical pundits announcing with a flourish that Barack will be the 44th President, I smile to myself knowing that they are ONE YEAR too late with their prediction. It's good to be smug sometimes, especially when one was supposed to have been so wrong and so ignorant of the form! It is fascinating to see them justifying his impending victory with all kinds of spurious reasons except the main one: that the man is extraordinary and exceptional in what he has done, considering he emerged from nowhere to beat everyone else to be key leader for these troubled times.

A lot can happen in three weeks, of course, but barring any catastrophe, Barack is home and dry in the White House. It will have happened because of the reasons I stated one year ago. John McCain has said that even though Obama is currently 'measuring the drapes' he is a fighter and will carry on fighting with the hope of overturning the current position. He is not out yet. Well, I have news for him. None of the old comeback tricks will work this time, but I applaud him for continuing with that hope. It makes for a more interesting contest to the finish, and will give him an honourable exit as well. One cannot begrudge him that.

Written in July of 2007 and posted on Newsvine in November, 2007, Four Key Reasons Why Barack Obama Will Be The Next President demonstrates why Barack will be victorious as well as how belief and faith can move mountains and also confound the sceptics.

One year on, every word is a winner. Well done, Senator! :o)

No comments:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket